Big Congratulations to Aspen High’s Sunday Abarca, who got it done at the snow-delayed state track meet in Lakewood on both Saturday AND Sunday! Abarca won the Class 3A 200-meter dash Saturday with a time of 21.39 seconds. Basalt’s Noah Williams came in 17th, at 23.24. But then on Sunday, Sunday blew everyone away, not only defending his title in the 400 meters and winning the event for a 3rd straight year, but doing it in a new state meet record time of 48.12, eclipsing his own old mark of 48.54, which was good enough to win last year. Abarca was up for the triple-crown of sprinting, but fell just short, by 9 1 hundredths of a second in the 100 meters. Sunday ran a personal best of 10.8 seconds, but Dante Thomas from Sierra was slightly better at 10.71. Congrats again to Sunday Abarca of Aspen, winning his 4th state track championship for a career, 2 of them this past weekend.
The verdict came quickly Friday in a notorious case from Aspen that’s been lingering some 3 years. It was all wrapped up in about 45 minutes at the federal courthouse in Denver, however, as a civil jury ruled that then 44-year-old developer Nikos Hecht and then 65-year-old Suzanna Dailey had consensual sex in 2014 in Mexico, and that Hecht did not rape Dailey, as she had alleged. That concluded a case in which Dailey had been seeking a little over one and a half million dollars in damages. The Aspen Times reports that in admitting the sexual encounter, Hecht testified Thursday that it in his words “didn’t help” as he and his wife divorced a year later. He emailed the paper a statement after the proceedings, saying he’s thankful the jury saw Dailey’s claim as false, and saying the allegations had taken quite a toll on his family. The now-68-year-old Dailey told the paper after court adjourned, however, that she actually won. She claimed, despite the jury’s finding, that Hecht was still guilty and she was proud of herself for bringing the case. Hecht’s father Andy is a partner in the Aspen-based law firm Garfield & Hecht.


This may be some good news… there may be some suspensions during the upcoming Grand Avenue Bridge detour, of construction hours and other restrictions on work that are specified in municipal law for Glenwood Springs. The city attorney says that could include public street parking, where sidewalk signs go, and more. City council voted last week to allow City Manager Debra Figueroa to suspend enforcement of some parts of city code as she sees fit, when the circumstances are right. The idea of the vote, spreading peak traffic out, and letting businesses work out how they’re each going to deal with the traffic impacts starting in mid-August. State and city officials are still working with businesses, organizations, and everyone to get as many as 700 cars an hour off Highway 82. If that’s not done, engineers estimate delays getting through Glenwood during the detour could average an hour each way, twice a day. If that reduction is made, there’ll still be delays, but only about 15 minutes or so.


Some days just aren’t your day. Here’s an example from a week and a half or so ago– Things were apparently rough that particular day for a Rifle couple who’d only been dating a few weeks. And they got rougher. The pair’s first encounter with police that day came bright & early about 6:30 am at the Rifle Walmart, where a 31-year-old woman was found on the ground with a black eye, blood coming from her nose & mouth, and bruises on her face. Her 57-year-old boyfriend was arrested for felony assault and domestic violence. Shortly after police took the apparently intoxicated woman home while sending him off to jail, she apparently didn’t stay home… and was busted herself just a little while later for DUI, careless driving, and possessing drug paraphernalia. Couple hours after that, when the Valley Vet Clinic told officers they’d been burglarized, with a door forced open and hundreds in cash missing, the clinic owner pointed out they’d recently fired a 31-year-old for stealing narcotics. Guess who? Yep. That same woman claimed her already-arrested boyfriend had talked her into stealing the money so they could go to Vegas for the weekend. So she got to stay in jail, so did he, and they were both charged that same day with the felony 2nd degree burglary, plus theft & criminal mischief.  


More from Sports—


The Basalt girls’ 4 by 800 meter, or 3200 meter relay team of Carly Robinson, Jenna Curnow, Lilly Gillis and Megan Maley did better Saturday than their previous team best, by some 7 seconds, to finish 8th statewide in 3A.